at the randalls'




follow our instagram

Drip Irrigation System

January 29, 2024

Sarah Randall

follow @sarahellenrandall

We're so glad you're here! We've been transforming spaces together for the past five years and slowly renovating our own 1950's home. Join us as we create a home we love!

Hi, we're Jake and Sarah

This week, we worked on a small curb appeal project! Remember when I was 9 months pregnant and Jake built this fence? It’s been so nice to have this sectioned off grassy area for Charlie to play. We are finally got around the landscaping the border. It was just dirt for the last few months, so we are planting some olive shrubs and blue fescue.

I decided to put an olive bush every 5 feet with blue fescue in between. I used a post hole digger, which feels slow, but is so much faster than digging by hand! All the gloves I had only go to my wrist so I ordered these. They’re leather, suede, and such a cute color.

We realized we probably should have laid the weed cloth first – but I got too excited and planted first! I see the controversy over weed cloth in my DM’s but our weeds are really bad here. It’s so sunny, they grow year round and the crab grass is relentless. I don’t like using chemical weed killers like Round Up, so I opted for this. We’ve had a lot of success in our backyard when we buy expensive, thick weed cloth. By our pool out back, it’s lasted us 3 years with no maintenance! We secured it with garden fabric staples, then used my electric scissors to cut the excess.

Next it was time for the drip line! There’s a main drip line already and we need to add 12 attachments – one to teach plant. Then, we will mulch!

Here are the supplies we used just incase it’s helpful for anyone –

This drip irrigation kit has all the supplies you’ll need.

We went from 1/2 inch tubing to 1/4 inch tubing. Basically Jake punched a hole in the bigger tubing, took the barbed connector and snapped it into place. Then he took the smaller tubing and connected it to the plant. He ended up having to use boiling water at 200 degrees to soften the tubing a bit to slide the barb into place.

Next, we laid black mulch, which added a nice contrast. I’m so happy with the outcome! The plants are tiny right now but should fill in really nicely over time.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *